Who can donate blood?
Every healthy adult fulfilling the below criteria can donate blood:
- Age group: 18 to 60 years. (Donors of 16 and 17 years of age can donate after obtaining parent’s/guardian’s consent.)
- Body weight: minimum 45 kilograms weight.
- Haemoglobin: minimum 12.0 gm% and not more than 18%
- Pulse: 60 to 100 beats/minute
- BP: Systolic: upper limit 180mmHg and lower limit 90mmHg
- BP: Diastolic: upper limit 100 mmHg and lower limit 50 mmHg
- Blood donation interval: Three months for males and four months for females.
- The donor shall be free of any skin disease at the phlebotomy area.
- The donor should be in good health, mentally alert (not under the influence of alcohol)
- The donor should not be a prisoner, a drug or alcohol addict.
- The donor should have eaten something in the last 4 hours.